Before the cold months come around you need to perform winter home maintenance tasks. Winters can be cruel like Muncie winters and to prevent having to call the best Muncie furnace repair.
Get your home ready for winter. Cold, snow, and rain can damage parts of your home, so you don’t want to ignore winter home preparation.
Winter Home Preparation List
- Flush hot water heater and remove sediment. This prolongs the life of the heater and helps with efficiency as well.
- Winterize air conditioning systems. Remove and store window units. If you have central air, cover the outside unit with a tarp or plastic sheeting and secure with bungee cords. This is important for Winter home maintenance.
- Get heating system ready for winter. Check for any leaks in windows or doors. This can increase heating and cooling costs. For home winter maintenance, make sure heating vents are open and not blocked by furniture. Get furnace serviced/inspected at least every other year, preferably annually. As with the AC, this shouldn’t be a huge expense.
- Turn off and flush outdoor water faucets. Also flush hoses and store them. Winterize sprinkler systems as well, if you have one. Make that part of preparing your landscaping for Spring.
Home Winter Maintenance For The Hard Places
- Get chimney cleaned, if you have one. Some folks say to do this in the spring, some say fall. Either way, just make sure it’s done once per year.
- Test sump pump. You don’t want to wait until you need your sump pump to find out it’s not working.
- Check driveway/pavement for cracks. Make sure to have re-sealed before winter; water can freeze and expand in the cracks, causing more damage.
- Buy winter gear. Have sidewalk salt, good shovels, hats and gloved. In you winter home maintenance, get ready. You never know when that first snow will come!